... but I stopped. Now I'm a dad, and may blog again...

Monday, July 26, 2010

The amazing art of Ernst Haeckel

I haven't got anything to say about Ernst Haeckel as I don't know anything about him, other than what is written in the first couple of sentences on his wikipedia page.  He was a German biologist, naturalist, philosopher, physician, professor and artist, who discovered, described and named thousands of new species, mapped a genealogical tree relating all forms of life, and coined many terms in biology, including phylum, phylogeny, ecology and the kingdom Protista.  I plan to read up on him and to get the books of his prints Art Forms in Nature and Art Forms from the Ocean, and then I might have something more to say.  In the meantime let's have a look at some of his awesome illustrations (anyone familiar with my paintings might spot an obvious octopussy source of artistic 'appropriation').

No comments: