... but I stopped. Now I'm a dad, and may blog again...

Thursday, January 06, 2011

168:black pudding, Bill & Ted, and blogging.

I’m growing addicted to adding things to my Amazon wish list.  Every time I discover something new I quickly overdo it.  When I first had black pudding it was all I wanted to eat; black pudding and crumpets every day for months until I get tired of it.  That addiction comes back every so often.  Ever since I became dangerously obsessed with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, American pro wrestling, and Bill & Ted as a kid, I keep getting really into random things.  I remember reading an interview with Gazza a few years ago, at a time when he wasn’t drinking.  He was talking about his addictive personality, and said his alcoholism had been replaced with a constant need for wine gums or liquorice allsorts.

I’m not really obsessed with my wish list, but I have added a ridiculous amount of crap to it.  What am I ever going to do with a Shoe People DVD?  If someone actually bought me that I think I’d be quite annoyed; but still it goes on the wish list.  It’s not exactly a priority, but somehow I think I would be a happier person if it was sitting on my shelf.  Perhaps it’s part of an absent-minded daydream about winning the lottery and being free to express every random whim without fear of repercussion.  Not really a very constructive way of spending my time, is it?

I've got a dirty thumb.
Another unconstructive way of spending my time is trying to write this blog as I fight off an encroaching doze.  I’m full of left-over homemade curry and chips and have been back at work today for the first time in over two weeks.  I’m also distracted by the fantastic Disney’s Robin Hood DVD that is playing in the room.  It’s impossible for me to concentrate or write properly when Prince John is crying for his mummy, and Sir Hiss is giving it all the I-told-you-sos.

I know I shouldn’t talk about work in the blog.  It’s the kind of thing that you occasionally hear about someone being fired for, and potential future employers might read this blog and decide I’m not employment material.  I know I’ve occasionally stepped over the line and really slagged off the day job, but I’ve tried not to be specific and haven’t mentioned where I work.  It’s definitely a good idea that I keep it that way.  And for that reason I don’t really have much to report today.  No amusing anecdotes, no odd characters and nothing has really pissed me off.  Just one day in though, so we’ll see how it goes.  Still, it wouldn’t do any harm to an interesting life full of travelling and new experiences.  The only boss who wouldn’t fire me for speaking my mind would be me; a great reason for self-employment.

I’d better eat some fish, or human brains, or whatever it is that makes people smart.  I need some ideas to spring fully formed into my mind cos I don’t feel like I have the time to develop ideas, and nothing much has happened today to inspire storytelling.  Perhaps I could write a humorous fictional novel about the drudgery of minimum wage/customer care/service/retail – that sort of stuff.  It might work quite well if I could formulate an interesting story that people could relate to.  Although the list of stuff I have to write is piling up.  The higher it gets the less likely I am to finish anything.  Did some good work on my monologue script for the BBC Writer’s Room yesterday.  Pretty much two thirds of the way through it now, and the first half has been redrafted to infinity and back.  I’d better push on; need to get some more done and it’s bed time.  Night night.

No comments: