... but I stopped. Now I'm a dad, and may blog again...

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

400: on the subject of I Blog Ev'ry Day

Whoah dude, the four-hundredth blog post is upon us. I wish I could still honestly claim this was daily, but I have let slip slightly. I'm still on track for one post for every day, although excuses of this and the other permit me to relax my strict every day rule. (Just read those last two sentences back and they barely make any sense.)  Chiefly among the excuses I think is that I am nervous about setting the bar to high (unlikely) and then ruining it with a dreadful late night post about being tired. Other reasons I have missed the odd day or few (and then caught up) include (but are not limited to) doing over time in the day job, trying to write a novel and short stories (which this blog was originally suposed to empower me to do), and just being a bit shit, tired and wishy-washy. These things happen.

Now I hope that has cleared the air and I can get back to what ever it is I'm supposed to be doing. I still have two BLANKSPACE exhibitions to write up, but that means embedding photos, planning what I'm going to write, worrying about offending people by accident, putting links to all the artists websites. I also have some book covers and post cards from Blackpool I want to put here, but the office is a mess since I had to read the gas meter and now I can't get to the scanner without spending about five minutes tidying first. I'm sorry, but that is just too much to ask.

Note to self: must remember this blog is not supposed to be some fantastic online source of well written opinion pieces and proper articles about art exhibitions, music, politics and science. I know nothing about anything, or at least as much as can be gleaned from two minutes on a wikipedia page. This blog was, is and should still will be a repositary of my own nonsense. It's less than a dieary, because there are things that I can't or don't want to put in here. For instance I actually have a day job, that although pretty menial and a million miles from where I want to be, treats me very well and I thoroughly enjoy (not like that last hell-hole I work, right guys). But, I'm not allowed to talk about it in any detail – people in this crazy modern world get sacked for expressing their well-earned birthright to speak freely. It doesn't really matter as I've not got a burning desire to talk about my day job; but the point is, I guess, if I was a professional writer I could probably blog about what the hell I like.

I'm going to get myself back into the daily blogging thing, even if it means an increase in the frequency of blogs about nothing. What it should mean, however, is that I take a few moments during my working day to think of an intersting theme or idea to blog about, and then get it done as soon as I get home in the evening. If that happens I will heartily congratulate myself, yee-hah! Ideally writing here will just be an exercise; a catalyst to sit down to an hour or two of proper creative writing. And that's exactly what I am going to do now.

Authorised King James Version - one of the masterpieces of English literature, is 400 this year!
random google image, search "400th Birthday" - my initials on the cake, spooky

Happy four-hundred-and-second birthday

No comments: