... but I stopped. Now I'm a dad, and may blog again...

Sunday, March 25, 2012

553: Politics makes me feel stupid

Remember when Richard Nixon said "When the President does it, that means that it is not illegal"? No, me neither. It was before I was born (Aside to self: would it be too arrogant to rephrase "before I was born" as "BKE: Before Kevin Era"? ... undecided ... ); back when it was all black and white. Way back in 1977; the year Elvis the King died and Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols was vomited onto the Queen's face. History. And that megalomaniacal utterance (the one from Nixon, not my stupid BKE thing) is one of the reasons he will be remembered as one of history's great big bell-ends. Much in the same way as Britain's current coalition government will be remembered after events of this last week.

Hooray Henry rah-rah we're going to smash the oiks braying their victory of public opinion and banging their destructive oily hands on their antique Bullingdon-battered tables. They destroy the NHS and the lives of Britain's poorest and most vulnerable with the wild abandon, social disregard, and lack of shame that Cameron and Boris Johnson destroyed restaurants in their student days. Cameron, Andrew Lansley and all other associated cunts and cronies are having the times of their pampered, privileged lives. The rich will get richer, and the poor will get poorer and deader. And the rich will not give a shit.

I don't know what I'm talking about, but perhaps that's the set trap I've fallen into. These things are supposed to be complicated and tedious and as a result I'm uninformed and ignorant. They are supposed to be unjust and infuriating and as a result I am confused, frustrated and angry. The upshot of all this is that the public (I'm speaking for myself, if even I am speaking for anyone at all) are helpless and impotent as the ruling class repeatedly punches down, smashing the oiks.

Political injustice is so easy to get furious about, but so difficult to do anything about. It's not even easy to get a basic understanding of what is going on and why. It's not even easy to understand if what is perceived as injustice actually is. Perhaps it is the lesser of all possible evils, a temporary step back, a regroup. Political decisions aren't for ever. But can they cause irreparable damage? Is there an alternative to the Coalition which has the strength and intelligence to undo the damage being done? Sigh...

No comments: